GUIDE TO SOURCES OF NIGERIAN HISTORY

NATIONAL ARCHIVES KADUNA

 
KANO PROVINCE
Kano province was created in 1903 after the conquest of the town by the British. For administrative purposes, the province was divided into four divisions, Kano, Katsina, Katagum and Hadeija. Each of the divisions was divided into districts ruled by districts heads, and each district comprised a number of villages. Between 1904 and 1934 Kano Province under went series of administrative changes. In 1904 Katagum Province was merged with Kano Province. In 1926 Kano Province consisted of Kano; Zaria, Bauchi and Bornu while Katsina Division was transferred to Zaria Province. By 1934 Kano Province consisted of Kano, Kazema, Gumel and Hadeija Divisions. In 1967 the province was abolished.
KANOPROF    
1 REGISTERS AND BOOKS 1923-1956 26 volume/s
2 Incoming Correspondence Registers 1923-1948 17"
3 Outgoing Correspondence Registers 1923-1948 1"
4 Circular Record Books 1950-1951 3"
5 District Note Books 1945-1954 4"
6 Minute Book 1938-1956 I"
  General Correspondence of the Provincial Office 1913-1962 6/584 files
       
KANO LOCAL AUTHORITY
  KANOLOCAUTH    
1 REGISTERS 1926-1962 40 volume/s
2 Incoming Correspondence Registers 1942-1962 5"
3 Outgoing Correspondence Registers 1953-1962 9"
4 Register of Certificate of Occupancy 1925-1956 16"
5 Plot Registers 1926-1955 7"
6 Register of Liquor 1938 2"
7 Sabongari Headquarters Register Not dated 1"
8 Court Record Books 1916-1959 60"
9 Court Record Books (Criminal Cases) 1918-1954 43"
10 Court Record Book (Civil Cases) 1916-1959 17"
11 Account Books 1915-1959 25"
12 Departmental Vote Book 1956 1"
13 Cash Books 1918-1959 14"
14 Revenue and Expenditure 1915-1957 6"
15 Assessment Book 1951-1953 1"
16 Paper Money Registers 1945-1958 3"
17 Departmental Books 1918-1962 13"
18 Advisory Board Minute Books 1918-1958 4"
19 Civil Service Union Books 1948-1958 2"
20 Inquest Books 1930-1942 4"
21 Bake house License Book 1937-1947 1"
22 Diary Books 1959-1962 2"
23 General Correspondence' 1922-1962 1,636 files
       
KANO NATIVE AUTHORITY
  KANONA    
1 Court Record Book 1911-1952 32 volume/s
2 Court Record Book (Civil Cases) 1922-1952 29"
3 Court Record Book Criminal Cases 1911-1943 3"
4 Registers 19#-1957 10"
5 Registers of Birth 1944-1954 4"
6 Registers of Deaths 1949-1957 2"
7 Vaccination Registers 1944-1954 2"
8 Receipts and adjustment voucher Registers 1945-1958 1"
9 City office files register 1945-1955 1"
10 Departmental Books 1946-1955 88"
11 Cash Books 1937-1966 77"
12 Despatch Books 1947-1958 3"
       
1 Store Ledger Books 1953-1954 1 volume/s
2 Departmental Vote Book 1956 1"
3 Minutes Book 1950-1955 1"
4 Littafin Karbar Report N.A. Fuskar Arewa District 1939-1952 1"
6 Dictionary of the English Language Vol. I & IT   2"
7 General Correspondence 1930-1966 393 files
       
KATSINA PROVINCE    
In 1903 Katsina was a division under the Kano Provmce and it was made up of Katsina, Daura and Kazaure Em.irates. In 1904 the division came under Zaria province. In 1934, following a minor reorganisation of the administrative structure, the Katsina Emirate was removed from Zaria province along with Daura Emirate from Kano province and constituted into an independent province known as the Katsina province. Included in the Native Authorities were Katsina and Daura.
KATPROF    
1 District Note Books and Touring Diaries 1925-1956 49 volumes
.1  District Note Books 1925-1956 44"
.2  Touring Diaries 1937-1953 5"
3-5  General Correspondence of the Katsina Provincial Office 1903-1960 1,356 files

 

KATSINA NATIVE AUTHORITY

KATNA    
3 General Co-respondence 1926-1966 1,566 files
4 Judicial and Account Books 1927-1967 504 volumes
.1  Civil Record Books 1927-1967 467 "
.2  Criminal Record Books 1950-1967 17"
4.3  Cash Books 1949-1967 20"
 
DAURA NATIVE AUTHORITY
DAURANA    
1-2  General Correspondence of Daura Native
Authority
1931-1959 166 files
3 Civil Record Books 1943-1960 69 volumes
       
NIGER PROVINCE
On January 1st 1900 when British rule was introduced, Nupe Province and the areas known as the Riverine District were included in the Middle Niger Province with headquarters at Lokoja. In 1901 the headquarters was established at Bida Wuya Road, three miles from Bida. The province consisted of Kaduna district of the Bida Emirate, later the Trans Kaduna districts and Emirates of Agaie and Lapai were added to make up the Nupe Province. It was not until 1908 that the Niger Province was established. That year, Kuta and Kwongoma divisions of the Zaria province were transferred to make up the province. The Niger province therefore consisted of Agaie, Lapai, Bida, Kuta and Kwongoma divisions. In 1914 Koton Karfi District formerly in Nassarawa was added to the province. In January 1918 Niger Province was reverted to it's former name Nupe Province.
PROVINCIAL OFFICE MINNA
1 Despatches from the Governor to the Secretary of State 1901-1911 2 volumes
2 Registers 1907-1961 68"
.1 Correspondence Registers (Inward) 1913-1961 23"
.2 Correspondence Registers (Outwards) 1956-1961 2"
.3 Correspondence-Registers Inwards and Outwards 1910-1926 34 volume/s
.4 Register of Deaths 1914-1926 1"
.5 Register of Births 1920-1939 1"
.6 Register of Marriage 1915-1946 2"
.7 Register of Mining rights and exclusive prospecting License 1917-1925 1"
.8 Register of PC Jos 1907-1914 1"
.9 Crown Agents Schedule 1915-1916 1"
.10 Register of Oaths 1914-1950 2"
.3 Court Records 1908-1954 22"
.1 Criminal Court Records Books 1912-1954 11"
.2 Civil Court Records Books 1938-1949 1"
.3 Court Minute Books (Civil and Criminal) 1908-1939 7"
.4 Inquest Books 1936-1938 3"
.4 Accounts Books 1903-1942 21"
.1 Cash Books 1903-1942 23"
.2 Vote Ledgers 1920-1939 7"
.3 Rent on Government Quarters 1926-1931 1"
.5 Circulars 1914-1949 16"
.1 Secretary Northern Provinces circulars 1919-1949 13"
.2 Miscellaneous 1914-1921 3"
.6 Record Books 1904-1952 12"
.1 Assessment Records Books 1904-1908 5"
.2 Store Record Books 1909-1942 5"
.3 Touring Diary 1927-1952 2"
7-9 General Correspondence 1892-1958 10,800 files
       
DIVISIONAL RECORDS
BIDA
   
BIDADIV    
1-3 General Correspondence of Bida
Provincial Office
1917-1957 170 files
MINNA
   
MIND IV    
1-2 General Correspondence of Minna
Divisional Office
1910-1961 44 files
       

PROVINCIAL OFFICE MINNA (NIGER)

NATIVE AUTHORITY MINNA

MINNA    
1 Court Books 1914-1962 225 volume/s
NATIVE AUTHORITY
BIDA    
1 Court Books 1908-1962 164 volume/ s
2 Account Book and Cash Books 1931-1960 160 "
.1 Account Books 1936-1959 6"
.2 Treasury Cash Books 1924-1960 40"
.3  Treasury Minute Book 1928-1929 1"
.4  Haraji (Tax) Books 1921-1959 91 "
.5  Daily Abstract Expenditure Books 1938-1957 20"
.6  Deposit Books 1941-1956 2"
3-4  Register and Account Books 1934-1964 27"
.1  Inwards and Outwards Correspondence Registers 1938-1945 3"
.2  Prisoner Sick Registers 1940-1962 5"
.3  Treasury Invoice Register 1939 1"
.4  Un-allocated Payment Registers 1934-1954 3"
.5  Salary Register 1939-1975 1"
.6  Bicycle Licence Register 1955-1959 1"
.7  Register of Counterfoil Books 1934-1944 4"
4.1  Store Ledger Books 1932-1942 4"
.2  Prisoner Store Books 1928-1953 9"
.3  Vote Service Ledger Books 1912-1948 2"
.4  Stationery Books 1938-1956 2"
.5  Dog Badges Licence Books 1940-1947 2"
.6  Settler debt Books 1956-1959 5"
.7  Census Books 1953-1959 13"
.8  Birth and Death Books 1933-1950 6"
.9  Prisoner Visitor Books 1932-1964 3"
.10  Prisoner Record Book 1935-1939 1"
.11  Prisoner Offense Book 1914-1920 1"
.12  N.A. Works Calculation Book 1949 1"
.13  Prisoner Weight book 1952-1958 1"
.14 Pateggi Rice Research Station book 1954-1958 1"
.15  Itinerary Diagram Bida Jima Road 1939 1"
5-6  General Correspondence 1923-1963 433 files
       
KONTAGORA    
KONTANA    
Registers 1955-1960 6 volume/s
.1  Outwards Correspondence Register 1956-1959 1"
.2  Kontagora N.A. Police Station Charge Register Property Register 1955-1960 4"
.3  Prisoner Lock-up and Property Register 1955-1960 1"
2.2  Record Books 1940-1962 32"
.1  N.A. Police Beat Book 1961-1962 1"
.2  N.A. Police lost, stolen and found property book 1955-1959 5"
.3  Littafin Dawan Fursuna Native Authority 1953-1956 4"
.4  Littafin Manyan Laiffuka 1954-1956 1 volume/s
.5  Littafin Laiffukan Mota 1958-1962 1"
.6  N.A. Treasury Record Book 1951-1956 2"
.7  Littafin Kayan Store Fursuna 1940-1960 4"
.8  N.A. Prison Daily State Books 1959-1961 3"
.9  N.A. Police Prison yard book 1957-1961 1"
.10  Littafin Tandora N.A. Waziri Kontagora 1939-1943

1"

.11  N.A. Police Station Diaries 1956-1960 11"
       
KONTAGORA
KOTNA    
3-8  General Correspondence 1940-1962 759"
       
WUSHISHI
WUSHNA    
General Correspondence 1937-1958 11 volume/s
Registers and Record Books 1955-1961 4"
.1  Despatch Book 1961 1"
.2  Correspondence Register 1955-1960 1"
.3 Court Book 1959-1960 1"
.4 Census Book 1955 1"
PLATEAU PROVINCE
The Plateau province was created in 1926 and was divided into five divisions, Jos Pankshin, Jamaa, Southern and Shendam. The province was created out of the provinces of Bauchi, Muri Nassarawa. The Plateau Province was the smallest of the northern provinces and was bound on the North West by Zaria Province, on the South and South-West by Benue Province, on the East by the Adamawa Province and on the North-East by Bauchi province. The province was abolished in 1967 following the creation of States in Northern Region of Nigeria.
JOSPROF    
 1-6 General Correspondence 1909-1968 16,990 files
DISTRICT OFFICE SHENDAM (LOWLAND)
SHENDIST    
1-2 General Correspondence
1931-1957 13 files
NATIVE AUTHORITY LOWLAND
LOWNA    
1 General Correspondence 1925-1968 59 files
NATIVE AUTHORITY PANKSHIN
PANKNA     
1 General Correspondence 1913-1967 680 files
NATIVE AUTHORITY WASE
WASENA
   
1 General Correspondence 1958-1967 12 files
KANAM NATIVE AUTHORITY
KANAMNA    
1 General Correspondence 1958-1968 15 files
       

SOKOTO PROVINCE
Sokoto Province was created in 1903 following the fall of the caliphate. It was one of the 16 provinces created in the Northern Region. Before the fall of the caliphate, Sokoto served as its capital and the home of Sheik Usman Dan-Fodio. Under Usman Dan Fodio the province consisted of four emirates
Sokoto, Argungun, Gwandu and Yauri until the European conquest of Nort:l1.ern Nigeria. When British rule was introduced in 1903, the emirate system of administration was adopted and the headquarters remained in Sokoto.

Sokoto Province was divided into 42 di&.tricts. Gwandu which had 18 districts with headquarters at Birni Kebbi, Argungun which had 9 districts with headquarters at Sabon Birni, and Yauri which had
4 districts with headquarters at Yelwa.

The province underwent several reorganisations. In 1904 Gwandu which was an autonomous province was added to.Sokoto province and Gwandu became a division of Sokoto province.

The province was administered through districts and each encompassing a number of villages. District heads were appointed by Sultans with the approval of the Residents. The district heads were responsible for collection of taxes, maintenance of roads and Communications and raising troops in time of war.

       
SOKPROF    
Registers 1924-1954 21 volume/ s
.1  Incoming Correspondence Registers 1924-1954 14"
.2  Circular Registers 1940-1952 7"
General Correspondence Files 1903-1961 2,087 files
       
NATIVE AUTHORITY ARGUNGUN
ARGUNA    
1-2  Registers and Ledgers 1937-1960 12 volume/ s
.1  Correspol).dence Registers 1955-1960 1"
.2  Salary Registers 1937-1951 2"
.3  Emigration Registers 1952-1960 2"
2.1  Store Ledger Books 1951-1959 3"
.2  Accounts Books 1956-1960 4"
Court Record Books 1935-1962 115"
4-6  General Correspondence 1925-1962 660 "
GWANDU NATIVE AUTHORITY
GWANDUNA    
Registers and Record Books 1932-1961 870 volume/s
.1  Court Registers 1925-1960 642 "
.2  Salary Registers 1944-1955 5"
.3  Job Books 1933-1959 44"
.4  Contract Book 1941-1960 1"
2.1  School Record Books 1953-1961 8"
.2  Order Books 1932-1947 24"
.3  Account Books 1941-1960 119"
.4  Store Books 1939-1957 7"
3-5  General Correspondence 1931-1962 1,406 files
YAURI NATIVE AUTHORITY
YAUNA    
1-2 General Correspondence Files 1931-1963 446 files
       
ZURU NATIVE AUTHORITY
ZURNA    
1-3  General Correspondence Files 1936-1964 297 files

ZARIA PROVINCE
The pre-colonial Zazau Emirate administrative structure was converted to a province in 1902 with
Captain G.F. Abadie as the Resident. Unlike other provinces in the_protectorate Zaria province was
not divided into separate Administrative Divisions. Wushishi and Zungeru area which formed the
Western part of the province at inception were detached from it in 1908. Another boundary change of importance was in 1914 when the three Districts of Jere, Janjalla and Kagerko were transferred to the province from Nassarawa province.

The province was divided into 27 administrative districts under a Resident District Chief.

The records in the group are from three sources, i.e. Zaria provincial, Zaria Native Authority and Jamaa's Native Authority Offices Kanfanchan.

     
ZARPROF    
Correspondence Register 1947-1961 15 volume/s
.1  Inward Correspondence Register 1947-1961 11"
.2  Outwards Correspondence Register 1956-1959 4"
District Note Books 1927 -1950 1"
.1  District Note Book 1931-1961 1"
.2  Touring Diary Book 1949-1950 1"
.3  Circular Letter Book 1927-1930 1"
Ledger Book and Court Books 1931-1942 2"
.1  Ledger Book 1931 1"
Native Court Cases Book 1941-1942 1"
4-8  General Correspondence Files 1905-1963 5,237 files
       
JAMAA NATIVE AUTHORITY
JAMNA    
Inward Correspondence Register 1953-1957 1 volume/s
District Records Books 1921-1949 3"
Store Ledger Books 1947-1955 2"
4-7  General Correspondence Files 1916-1963 1,701 files
       
ZARIA NATIVE AUTHORITY
ZARNA      
Court Records 1913-1968  846 volumes 
.1  Criminal Case Books 1913-1952  273" 
.2  Civil Case Books 1918-1961  560" 
.3  Cash Books 1936-1966  13" 
2-4  General Correspondence Files  1931-1965  1,324 files 

 

MINISTRY OF AGRICULTURE
Prior to the creation of the Ministry of Agriculture, there was a Department of Agriculture whose functions included the improvement of agriculture and livestock production, soil fertility, collection of hydrographic data, design and execution of irrigation, soil conservation and land drainage works. The Department was also engaged in the training of agricultural staff.

The Ministry of Agriculture, which took over most of the functions of the former Department of Agriculture, was created in 1957 when the Ministry of Natural Resources was split into, the Ministry of Agriculture and the Ministry of Animal Health and Forestry. The new Ministry of Agriculture had six divisions, the Administrative, the Field Services research and Specialist, Training and Education, Irrigation and the inspection Divisions. The divisions performed the functions formerly assigned to the Department of Agriculture.

KADMINAGRIC    
1-5  General Correspondence relating
to the activities of the Northern Nigeria Ministry of Agriculture
1911-1969 22,158 files

MINISTRY OF ANIMAL, HEALTH AND FORESTRY RESOURCES
The Ministry of Animal Health and Forestry was created out of the former Ministry of Natural Re- sources in 1953. The Forestry Department of the new Ministry was first established in-1915 with its headquarters first at Zaria but was later moved to Kaduna.

The Ministry at its inception had two divisions, Forestry and the Veterinary Divisions. In 1958 the ministry was reorganised and two sub-divisions were created. These were the Research and the Field Services Divisions. In 1960 the two subdivisions were merged. In 1961 the Animal Health and Forestry and the new ministry became the Ministry of Animal Health and Forestry Resources. The Ministry was responsible for the control and management of Ute Northern Region and the Native Administration Forest Department, the acquisition of land for the-establishment of forest reserves and also for the control of animal diseases.

       
MAHRF    
1-7 General Correspondence relating to the
activities of the Ministry
1915-1970 9, 158 files
Registers of the Ministry
1961-1968 6\Tolumes
.1  Register of Crown Agents Indent 1961-1968 1"
.2  Register of Forestry Pass Hammers Not dated 1"
.3  Registry of Fore-stry and Allied Legislation Not dated 1"
       

MINISTRY OF ECONOMIC PLANING
The Ministry of Economic Planning which had two divisions, Tedmical and Planning, was created in 1961. A Research and Administrative Divisions were later created. The Ministry was responsible for the implementation of economic development decisions approved by the Regional Government, implementation of approvals for technical assistance and application connected with foreign assistance to the country. It was also responsible for the collection of data on economic development in the country and was also responsible for monitoring the execujtion of approved policies.

The Technical Assistance Division of the Ministry liased with the Technical Assistance Division of the Federal Ministry of Economic Development. Foreign Economic Divisions and International Co-operation Administration. The Ministry had the general responsibility for co-ordinating the progress of economic development in Nigeria.

KADEP    
1-2  General Correspondence of the ad:irities
of the Ministry
1932-1968 1,877 files
Registers 1960-1965 5 volumes
3.1  Incoming Correspondence Registers 1960-1965 3"
3.2  Outgoing Correspondence Registers 1962-1965 2"
4-6  General Confidential Correspondence 1952-1961  998 files 

 

MINISTRY OF EDUCATION
Before the advent of western education, Koranic Schools for the basic tenets of Islam were in existence in Northern Nigeria. In 1905 the first school based on the western system of education was established in Sokoto for the sons of the sons of the chiefs.

From 1905 onwards both Government and Mis5ionary bodies establisbed more schools. The first Higher institution to be established in the North was the Higher College at Katsina. Between 1909 and 1910 an Education Department was set up and more Schools were opened at important centres. Schools which were supported out of Native Administration funds, were built by Emirs. In 1929 the Northern Protectorate Department of Education was marged with the Southern Protectorate Department of Education under one Director of Education. In 1954 the Northan Region Ministry of Education was established and Provincial Education offices were set up in each province to implement government educational policies.

The Ministry of Education was organised into eighf divisions, the Inspectorate, Women Education, Technical Education, Adult Education, Establishment, Finance and Accounts Divisions.

The Ministry was responsible for all matters relating to education at the primary and secondary levels.

MAHRF    
1-7  General Correspondence relating to the
activities of the Ministry
1915-1970 1,877 files
Registers of the Ministry 1961-1968 5 volumes
.1  Register of Crown Agents Indent 1961-1968 3"
.2  Register of Forestry Pass Hammers Not dated 2"
.3  Registry of Forestry and Allied Legislation Not dated 998 files
       

MINISTRY OF ECONOMI PLANING
The Ministry of Economic Planning which had two divisions, Technical and Planning, was created. in 1961. A Research and Administrative Divisions were later created. The Ministry was responsible for the implementation of economic development decisions approved by the Regional Government, implementation of approvals for technical assistance and application connected with foreign assistance to the country. It was also responsible for the collection of data on economic development in the country and was also responsible for monitoring the execution of approved policies.

The Technical Assistance Division of the Ministry liased with the Technical Assistance Division of the
Federal Ministry of Economic Development. Foreigr Economic Divisions and International Co-operation Administration. The Ministry had the general responsibility for co-ordinating the progress of economic development in Nigeria.

KADEP    
1-2  General Correspondence of the activities of the Ministry
1932-1968 1,877 files
Registers 1960-1965 5 volumes
3.1  Incoming Correspondence Registers 960-1965 3"
3.2  Outgoing Correspondence Registers 1962-1965 2"
4-7  General Confidential Correspondence 1952-1961 998 files
       

MINISTRY OF EDlJCATIOX
Before the advent of western education, Koranic Schools for the teadrlng of the basic tenets of Islam were in existence in Northern Nigeria. In 1905 the first school based on the western system of educa
tion was established in Sokoto for the sons of the chiefs.

From 1905 onwards both Government and Missionary bodies established more schools. The first Higher institution to be established in the North was the Higher' Conege at Katsina. Between 1909 and 1910 an Education Department was set up and more schools were opened at important centres. Schools which were supported out of Native Administration funds, were built by Emirs. In 1929 the Northern Protectorate Department of Education was merged with the Southern Protectorate Department of Education under one Director of Education. In 1954 the Northern Region Ministry of Education was established and Provincial Education offices were set up in each province to implement government educational policies.

The Ministry of Education was organised into eight divisions, the Inspectorate, Women Education, Technical Education, Adult Education, Establishment, Finance and Accounts Divisions.

The Ministry was responsible for aU matters relating to education at the primary and secondary levels.

       
KADMINED    
Registers /Books 1928-1968 81 volume/s
.1  Incoming Correspondence Registers 1928-1968 43"
.2  Outgoing Correspondence 1954-1960 7"
.3  File Registers 1954-1960 5"
.4  Register of Questions 1952-1964 1"
.5  Inquest Registers 1954-1966 2"
.6  Cash Books 1957-1966 13"
.7  Creditors Registers Not dated 1"
.8  Circular Books 1961-1962 2"
.9  African Staff Service Sheet Book Not dated 1"
.10  Schools Registers 1954-1955 3"
.11  Store Ledgers 1958-1960 2"
.12  Vote Book 1961 1"
       
KADMINEDUC    
2-6  General Correspondence Ministry of Education
 1922-1969 2,146 files
JOSEDUC    
1-3  General Correspondence of J os Provincial Education Office
1937-1970 236 "
MINEDUC    
1-3  General Correspondence of the Minna Provincial Education Office 1926-1962 767 "
ZAREDUC    
1-6  General Correspondence of the Zaria Provincial Education Office
1927-1970 1,304 files

MINISTRY OF ESTABLISHMENT AND TRATING
The Ministry of Establishment and Training was created on the 1st September, 1961. Prior-to this period the Establishment and Training was a Division in the Ministry of Finance. On the 30th June, 1960 the division, which was transferred to the Premier's Office, became an independent Ministry the following year.

The Ministry was organised into, the Establishment and the Recruitment and Training Divisions. The Ministry was charged with appointments, grading, salaries and allowances of officers in all ministries and department; General Orders, Organisation and Methods, Recruitment and 1raining of staff.

MINESTAB    
1 Registers 1920-1970 23 volumes
.1 Incoming Correspondence Registers 1920-1970 15"
.2 Outgoing Correspondence Registers 1920-1970 2"
1.3  Movement of file Registers 1958-1960 6"
2-7  General Correspondence 1920-1975 7,603 files
MINISTRY OF FINANCE

Prior to the creation of the Ministry of Finance, all financial matters of the defunct Northern Regional Government were handled by the Financial Secretary's Office. When the Ministry of Finance was eventually created in 1957, it was assigned the responsibility for all financial, accounts and revenue matters, it was also responsible for all staff matters, in-service training courses and examination for staff.

The Ministry was initially organised into three divisions: the Finance, the Establishments and Account Divisions, but in 1960, the Establishments Division was transferred to the Premier's office.

KADMINFIN    
1-5  General Correspondence 1914-1970 26,242 files
Registers 1913-1967 141 volumes
.1  Correspondence Registers 1913-1967 131"
.2  Distribution Registers 1966-1967 5"
.3  Receipt Book Registers 1967-1967 3"
.6  Project Register Staff Not dated 1"
.7  Departmental Audit Query Register 1955-1958 1"
.9  Diary 1967 1"
MINISTRY OF HEALTH

The Ministry of Health was created in 1953. On 1st October, 1954, the Ministry assumed full responsibility for all aspects of the medical and health services of the Region. In 1957 the Department of Medical Services lost its separate identity when it was merged with the Ministry of Health.
To effectively carry out the functions of the Ministry, six divisions, the Curative Services, Urban Health, Endemic Diseases, Dental, Chemistry and Administrative Divisions were created. In 1961 the Ministry carried out some changes as a result of which the Endemic Diseases and Urban Health Divisions
were merged becoming the Prevjntive Services Division.

Other sub-offices were also set up in various towns in the region to effectively carry out the functions
of the Ministry.

KADMOH    
1-2 Register /Books 1934-1976 232 volume/s
.1  Correspondence Registers (Inwards) 1940-1964 37"
.2  Correspondence Registers (Outwards) 1951-1962 22"
.3 Incoming Telegrams Registers 1953-1960 2"
.4 Register for files (Files Index)
1948-1960 19"
.6  Store Issue Voucher Register 1970-1975 1"
.7  Receipt Book 1952-1966 1"
2.1  Local Despatch Book 1955-1974 7"
.2  Telegram Despatch Books 1950-1961 4"
.3  Record of Advances 1956-1961 1"
.5  Departmental Vote Books 1946-1973 78"
.6  Cash Books 1959-1973 13"
.7  Store Ledger 1949-1967 3"
.11  General Store Record -Book 1963-1965 1 volume/s
.16  Credit Account Books 1951-1963 12"
.17  Receipt Books 1962-1970 9"
.18  L.P.O. Books 1960-1969 2"
3-7  General Correspondence 1921-1970 23,742 files
       
MINISTRY OF HEALTH JOS
JOSMOH    
1-2 General Correspondence 1945-1967 200 files
MINISTRY OF HEALTH ZARIA
ZARMOH    
1.1 Correspondence Register (Inwards) 1953-1964 9 volume/s
.2  Correspondence Register (Outwards) 1956-1958 1"
.3  Leave Register 1Cb""5-196: 1"
2.1  Departmental Vote Books 1939-1963 4"
.2  Circular Letter Book 19:9-:93C 1"
3-8  General Correspondence 192:-19;'2 3,162 files
       
MINISTRY OF INFORMATION

The Ministry of Information was created in October, 1960 when the Adult Education and the Library Division of the Ministry of Education were merged with the Information Division of the Ministry of Internal Affairs.

At its inception, the ministry was organised into five divisions, Information, Library, Public Enlightenment and Adult Education. Tourism and Catering Rest House and Administration. In Apri1 1966 the Adult Education Division was returned to the Education furistry willie the Printing Division of the Ministry of Internal Affairs transferred to the Information Ministry.

       
KADMINIFOR    
 1 Registers/Books 1950-1969 69 volume/s
.1 Incoming Correspondence Registers 1951-1966 23"
.2  Outgoing Correspondence Registers 1950-1958 5"
.3  Indent Registers of Stationery 1954-1956 2"
.4  Supply Issue Voucher Registers 1958-1969 2"
.5  Transfer Issue Voucher Registers 1953-1959 2"
.6  Gazette Registers 1960-196 2"
.7  List of Departments Register 1953-1955 1"
.8  Allocation Ledger Book 1958-1959 1"
.9  Departmental Vote Book 1958-1959 1"
.10  Cash Books 1952-1958 2"
.11  Cheques and Postal Orders Account Book 1957-1958 1"
.12  Way Bill Book 1955-1956 1"
.13  Record of Half Year's Requisition Books 1954-1959 2"
.14 Despatch Books 1958-1964 4"
.15 Stationery Record Book 1951-1953 1"
.16  Staff Record Sheet Books 1954-1962 11"
.17 Service Sheet Book 1921-1952 1"
.18 General Circular Books 1958 3"
.19 Registered Letters/Parcels Record Books 1959-1960 3"
.20 Treasury Receipt Book 1951-1956 1"
2-7  General Correspondence 1926-1968 7,320 files
       
MINISTRY OF INTERNAL AFFAIRS
The Ministry of Internal Affairs was created in 1957 when two departments, the Printing and Stationery and Regional Information Service were merged. The Printing and Stationary Department was formerly under the Financial Secretary's Office while the Regional Information Service was controlled by the Civil Secretary's Office. The third Division of the Ministry was the Administrative Division. The Ministry handled the printing and supply of stationery; catering Rest Houses; Gaskiya Corporation; Northern Region Literature Agency, Native Authority police, Prisons, Immigration and Naturalisation, Licensing of Missions and Churches, Liquor, Marriages, Printing Presses and Newspapers, Sweepstakes Lotteries, General Administration, Finance and Accounts matters and Broadcasting.
       
MIA    
1-5  General Correspondence 1916-1969 4,081 files
6-1  Correspondence Registers (Inward) 1954-1968 8 volume/s
.2  Correspondence Registers (Outwards) 1958-1961 1"
.3 Telegrams Registers (Inwards) 1954-1967 1"
.4 Court Registers Not dated 2"
.5  Minute Books 1959-1960 1"
.6  Departmental Vote Books 1958-1962 31"
.7  Record of Service Registers   5"

 

MINISTRY FOR LOCAL GOVERNMENT
The Ministry for Local Government, created in 1953, was called Ministry for Local Government and Community Development. The Ministry was responsible for the Institute of Administration Zaria, Local Government Training, Local, Town and Outer Councils, Native Authority Councils, Native Authority Rules and Orders, Native Administration Staff Conditions of Services, Organisation of Native Authorities, Professional Qualifications, Pilgrims, Public Holidays and Festivals, Research and Townships, Community Development, Town and Country Planrring (Urban Resettlement Schemes).

MLG    
1-7  General Correspondence 1912-l%9 2,886 files
N.A. Housing Corporation Registers 1961-1966 3 volumes

MINISTRY OF JUSTICE
The Ministry of Justice was created in 1961. Hitherto the Legal department,. headed by the Honourable Attorney-General was entrusted with all legal matters in the Northern Regions. With the creation of the Ministry, the legal department was restructured and merged with the new Ministry.

The function of the Ministry was to maintain law and order. In order to achieve this, various judicial units were established such as the Customary Courts, the Area Court, Sharia Court of Appeal, Magistrate Courts, High Courts and High Court of Appeal.

KADMOJ
   
1-3 General Correspondence 1932-1968 1,907 files
4 Registers 1960-1962 2 volume/ s
.1  Incoming Correspondence Register 1960-1961 1"
.2  Outgoing Correspondence Register 1961-1962 1"
HIGH COURT JOS
JOS HICOURT    
1-4 General Correspondence 1929-1971 8,885 files
MAGISTRATE COURT JOS
JOS M/COURT    
.1 Criminal Record Books 1021-1966 135 volume/s
.2  Civil Record Book 1924-1962 42"
.3  Inquest Book 1926-1931 1"
.4  Fixture Ledger 1958-1959 1"
.5 Census Book 1931 1"
2-3  General Correspondence 1950-1967 1,630 files
HIGH COURT KADUNA
KAD M/COURT    
1.1 Criminal Record Books 1951-1982 181 volumes
.2  Civil Record Books 1958-1971 9"
.3  Correspondence Registers (Inwards) 1957-1968 10"
.4  Correspondence Registers (Outwards) 1955-1968 18"
.5  Process Registers 1956-1980 38"
.6  Register Lost and Stolen Property 1962-1963 3"
.7  Cash Books 1928-1982 36"
2-7  General Correspondence 1934-1988 5,403 files
HIGH COURT KANO
KAN H/COURT    
Regiters Not dated 130 volume/s
.1  Criminal Record Books 1910-1956 84"
.2  Civil Record Books 1942-1955 36"
.3  Political Diary 1934-1944 5"
.4  Transport Allowance Register 1935-1939 1"
General Correspondence 1937-1960 2,976 files
HIGH COURT MAKURDI
MAK M/COURT    
1-2 General Correspondence 1938-1969 2,726 files
.1  Court Minute Books 1950-1964 52 volume/ s
.2  Departmental Vote Book 1964-1965 1"
.3  Inquest Account Book 1968-1969 1"

THE MINISTRY OF SOCIAL WELFARE AND COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT

   The Ministry of Social Development and Surveys was created in 1955. At the time of its creation,
was named Ministry of Social Development and Surveys. In1956 the title of the Ministry was changed to Ministry of Social Welfare, Cooperatives and Surveys. In 1957 and 1967 it was known as Ministry of Social Welfare and Co-operatives and Ministry of Social Welfare and Community Developmet respectively.
The Ministry was set up essentially to conduct agivities for economic improvement and improvi ment of the standard of living of the people of the region and its function was to assist the Native Authorities by providing advisory, supervisory, consultative services and some financial help on Social Welfare matters.
MSWCD    
1 Registers 1941-1968 29 volumes
.1  Correspondence Registers (Inwards) 1958-1968 20"
.2  File Registers 1959-1966 4"
.3  Registers of Applications 1952-1968 4"
.4  Register of Registered Societies 1941-1968 1 volumme/s
Account Books 1940-1968 139"
.1  Ledger Books 1946-1967 53"
.2  Cash Books 1947-1967 25"
.3  Market Return Record Books 1961-1966 5"
.4  Minute Books 1940-1963 8"
.5  Departmental Vote Expenditure Accounts Books 1945-1968 3"
.6  Consolidated Balance Sheets and Statistical Returns 1953-1966 38."
.7  Consolidated carry over details 1960-1968 3"
.8  Miscellaneous 1955-1966 4"
3-8  General Correspondence 1923-1968 4,445 files

 

MINISTRY OF WORKS
Prior to the year 1953 the Public Works Department was responsible for all public works including the maintenance of public building, highways and bridges. The functions of the Ministry included designing, construction and maintenance of public buildings, roads, bridges, aerodromes and ancient monuments.

KADMINWORKS    
1-6 General Correspondence relating to the activities of the Ministry
1912-1969 16,667 files

 

NORTHERN NIGERIA PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION

This was created in October 1954 and was placed under the premier's office. It replaced the Northern
Region Civil Service Commission which was abolished in that year. The Commission had a Chairman and four other members. In 1957 the number of members of the Commission was increased to seven. The functions of the Commission included advising the Premier on matters relating to the appointment, recruitment, promotion and discipline.

KADPSC.    
Incoming Correspondence Registers 1959-1962 9 volumes
2-5  General Correspondence 1930-1970 1,603"

 

NORTHERN NIGERIA SCHOLARSHIP BOARD
The Northern Regional Scholarship Board was established in July 1952. A liaison officer was attached to the office of the Director of Colonial Scholars in the United Kingdom to see to the Welfare of students on, scholarship. In 1962 the Board had an advisory status. It considered applications for scholarships and made recommendations to the Central Public Service Board

NNSB    
Registers /Books 1955-1975 40 volumes
.1  Correspondence Registers 1955-1966 2"
.2  Cash Books 1963-1974 5"
.3  Special list Registers 1966-1974 12"
.4  Minute Book Not dated 1"
.5  Departmental Vote Books 1964-1967 20"
2-7  General Correspondence 1943-1973 8,047 files

 

MINES DEPARTMENT
The Mines Department was established at the beginning of 1900 to co-ordinate mining activities in the country. The first mineral to be discovered in Nigeria was tin which was discovered in Jos, Northern part of Nigeria. It was first mined by the Royal Niger Company. In 1949 the Nigerian Government-purchased the rights to these royalties.

The Department had five inspectorate offices located at Minna, Zaria, Jos, Enugu and Ibadan with Jo\; as the administrative Headquarters. A Chief Inspector of Mines was appointed by ,the governor to be in charge of the Mining Department. It was the responsibility of the Department to enforce the Mineral Ordinance of 1916, and to supervise the activities of all private holders of mining licenses. The Mines Department was later constituted into the Ministry of Mines and Powers with Mines Department becoming the Mines Division.

MINEDEPT    
 1-6 General Correspondence 1926-1968 744 files

 

PRISONS DEPARTMENT
The Prisons Department was established by proclamation No.8 of 1902 titled Prisons Proclamation. It empowered the High Commissioner to declare any building within the protectorate a prison and every building so declared to be a goal, house of correction and penitentiary for the imprisonment of prisoners charged with criminal offences. In the prisons, inmates were engaged in different types of arts, crafts and industries.

The Kaduna Prisons had administrative jurisdictionover the Native Authority prisons in Katon-Karfi, Kano, Oturpo, Lokoja and Minna.

 
KADPRISON
   
1-5  General Correspondence 1923-1947 371 files
AUDIT DEPARTMENT
The Audit Department was established in 1900. when colonial administration was established after the revocation of the charter of the Royal Niger Company. The depcUtment was responsible for ensuring that revenue due to the government was collected and spent according to the stipulations of the law.
KADAUDIT    
1-3 General Correspondence 1933-1957 7,279 files
JOSAUDIT    
1 General Correspondence of the Jos Audit Department
1945-1977 261"

 

NIGERIAN GROUNDNUT BOARD
The Nigerian Groundnut Board was set up in 1949, but it ceased to exist in 1954 when the Commodity Boards in the Northern Region were replaced by the Northern Marketing Boards. In 1977 the groundnut Board was re-established by the Commodity Board's Decree No. 29, of that year. The Board was organised into four divisions - Accounts, Administration, Purchasing and Sales and Shipping. It had area Board offices in Lagos and Port-Harcourt. The functions of the Board included the purchase, sale and shipment of such commodities as groundnuts, Soya beans, sheanut, benniseed and ginger.

       
NGB      
1 Registers 1968-1987 727 volumes 
.1 Cash Books 1976-1987 183"
.2  Vote Books 1977-1987 194" 
.3  Store Ledgers 1971-1987 78" 
.4  Correspondence Registers 1971-1987 78" 
.5  Produce Purchase Register 1977-1987 22" 
.6  Contracts/Releases Evacuation of Produce 1968-1987 239" 
NGB      
2-5 General Correspondence 1958-1987 11,939 files

 

YOUNG FARMERS' CLUB
The first Young Farmers' Club was started in 1951 by Mr. P. Bachelor, a rural Science Teacher at the Sudan Mission Training Centre, Gindiri. More Clubs were established in other schools in Northern Nigeria. An Association of Young Farmer's Club was established in the region and a committee was appointed to conduct the affairs of the Association which had its headquarters at the Rural Education Centre, Bauchi. The aim of the Club was to promote farming activities among the youths and to encourage the growth of young Farmers' Clubs in the region. The Club engaged in farming gardening, animal husbandry, forestry, raising of fruit trees and rural crafts.

YFC      
Minute Books 1958-1968 2 volumes
General Correspondence 1950-1969 79 files

 

2007 Copyright. National Archives of Nigeria. All rights reserved.